Last night as the snow was beginning to fall here in Philly I made this quick, easy, yummy soup recipe from Rachel Ray… I made some substitutions to make it vegetarian. It was delicious with the whole wheat tortilla black bean and cheese quesadillas I made to go along with it…
Here’s the recipe:
Home Made Tomato Tortilla Soup
By: Every Day with Rachael Ray Staff
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken broth ** I used vegetable broth here to make it veggie!!
- One 28-ounce can peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped, and their juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Seven 6-inch corn tortillas, torn into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion and crushed red pepper and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the chicken broth and the tomatoes and their juice, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cumin, salt, lime juice and tortillas and simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a blender, puree the soup in batches. Garnish with cilantro and serve.